Pink Wombat's Hideout

Saturday, May 16, 2009

Demotivating Times

I didn't want to get out of bed today.

I couldn't see what there was to get out of bed for.

I didn't want to get out of bed yesterday either. Couldn't bring myself to get to work. The one thing that spurred me on was the realisation that it was Friday. THE WEEKEND. Woohoo. Although in retrospect, I'm glad I did 'pounce' out of bed. Being in the right place at the right time combined with initiative on my part, lead to me taking the reins over two projects at work that I can more excited about. And that would hopefully facilitate the learning and stimulation I crave so much.

However, this mood worries me. I've had this cloud of demotivation hovering above me for a few weeks now. Less smiley and patient, more moody and easily agitated. Not enough to garner a depression diagnosis. But enough to disable my enthusiasm for life at the moment. Maybe all I need is coffee.

On the other hand, my best friend could be right, I have reached a burnout. She's always said this country's toxic to me. She also said that if I kept at the rate I was working at the relationship, I might suffer a breakdown and hate myself if it didn't work out. The relationship's rosy now though. It had hard times. About a year of what I call the Dark Ages, where it was almost as if I was with a stranger. A year's worth of trying so hard, and pushing away my needs and any hurt, to make myself work harder at it, all for that intermittent happiness, however bleak the outlook of a future seemed at the time. All while doing a lot of housework, cooking and meaningless chores in the process. I also didn't have a permanent connection to anything, not belonging in Singapore plus always having to be ready to fend for myself and start anew (e.g. room-hunting etc) if my pillar were to decide to uproot himself back 20,000km where he came from. 'Nothing's ever certain' became my motto. My career was looking bleak too. My friends were advancing but I was held back by lack of money and a job that was increasingly mundane and intellectually unstimulating. All this while knowing that I am very capable and able to reach higher heights if only I was given the opportunity. I felt helpless and alone.

It was the recipe of disaster. A classic case study I was used to reading in my psychology textbooks.

But the relationship's good now. Something clicked and we're back to normal (pre-LDR) now. My life and job is still quite routine and mundane now, but I can keep trying little things to spice it up. In this city, activities aren't particularly exciting, and relationships aren't entirely fulfilling/stimulating. And money's still depleted, with no hopes of escaping the country and its crowds. I suspect that having no escape is making me this moody, high-strung, angsty person. Who can potentially ruin what I've worked so hard for. And then not have the motivation to pick myself up again.

It happens everyday. To people who think it won't happen to them. I won't say I'm invincible to it, but I have awareness of it. The triggers, the symptoms, the prognosis and treatments. That comes with the field I'm in. And with awareness, I'll hopefully be able to avoid myself falling into the traps that will send me on a downward spiral and dependency on Prozac.

I have to be positive. Resilience is my middle name! First of all, I have to get through this Saturday...and try come out with a different perspective.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home