Pink Wombat's Hideout

Thursday, May 03, 2007

Account of a student all-nighter

Re-living a Student moment... Just something to remind us all of Uni. Definitely something to stay in my mind... I thought the all-niters days are over... It thought I was gonna do constant work and not succumb to last minute pressure again...haha, i thought wrong. This was when two of my major final essays were due - 2nd May.

9pm – FINALLY finished the attachment essay. Blurred eyes. Sent to Paul to proof-read. Opened Neuropsychology essay on laptop. Starred at white screen until the blurriness merged together to form what I will be staring at for the next 18 hours. If I don’t sleep and have less than 1 minute meals, I can hopefully get this one in for 2pm… then go downtown to shop it out!

9.30pm – Cut my toe while scrambling onto the kitchen counters, trying to reach a tube of Pringles in my topmost cupboard.

11pm – Am running on adrenalin. A desperation to make full use of every hour. 15 waking hours left. I can do this.

12midnight –Stomach grumbling. Boiled cheesy mushroom tortellinis. Ate raisins by the handfuls during the entire 2 minutes I waited for the pasta to boil. Shoved pasta down throat in 30 seconds. So creamy. MMm… Still awake and strong. Almost halfway through the essay I think… The more I write, the more I see structure and where I want to head… I think. Cut on toe is becoming a dripping bloody mess now. Eugh.

1am – Raisins are the best sugar rush! But am gonna need caffeine soon I think. Still trying to hold that out. Can feel it in my eyes… and backbone *crack*

2am – Apples are not the best sugar rush. (and they rot your teeth). But the night is still young! PUSH ON…

2.35am – Uh oh…first massive yawn. But I can’t afford to sleep..

3am – Getting hard to focus. Restless…sleepy... Feeling nostalgic. Looked through bunch of old familiar pictures. So close. So familiar.

4am – I am watching Russell Peters.

4.45am – Back to work. Gonna succumb to darn caffeine. And a couple of muesli bars. It’s amazing how much slower your body functions at night.
4.50am – Hold on. Am I seeing this right? The skies are turning….blue… ALREADY??

5.05am – Light gray now. I have succumbed to caffeine. Boy, it’s bitter. Reminds me of the type my granpa used to drink. The ones I used to dip breadsticks into and leave bits of crumbs in the coffee cup. No time to run out again for sugar.

7am – I can’t believe it’s morning. Hungry. Suffering from caffeine tics.

8am – Need…sleep… Zombie running on adrenalin and caffeine.

9.30am – One essay handed in. ANOTHER ONE TO GO. Giving myself 4 hours to scale this 7500 words draft into a 2500 words.

12noon – Oh right! Lunchtime!

1.10pm – Need to get this done… Had lunch, China housemate actually talked to me today. I think we're back to normal now. Also had a frapjack frm Paul ☺

3.30pm - Handed in Neuropsych. Still feeling anxious, like I missed out doing something.

5pm - Eyes heavy. Time to nap.

10pm - Back from Man U - AC Milan game. Sigh. Am starting to get absorbed into the team, with my Man U jersey and all, proudly worn, for better or for worse

12midnight - Have been awake far too long. Body is shutting down... Nite all. xxx

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home