Pink Wombat's Hideout

Monday, April 16, 2007

Wombat in Whitby

So we went to Whitby for a daytrip last weekend. A good change from the dull Hull scenery. We left Hull bright and early 7am, after a hearty breakfast. Packed sandwiches for the journey the night before. Among other things packed away for the journey the next morning – Courage.

Arrived 9am in Scarborough. Seeing his campus grounds so soon still jolted at me. It felt strange somewhat to be back again. So familiar and fond once. Walking down that road, seeing it as it was many months back. It was still the same place. But different. From the way it was in the stills of my head, that dark early winter morning, bitter wind on my face, dead trees hovering and mud on the ground. Spring felt different from that detached winter numb. The sunlight seemed to coat its new paint job unto everything. Knowing underneath that nothing really changed. With the help of Alvin and Mo, dropped off what I came to drop off at the security office and left. He must hate me. Caught sight of a gray jumper with a red line in the familiar window. Knowing well there’s nothing left I could do.

As we made a turn along the coast towards Whitby, I felt like I’ve left another part of my life behind. Saw it linger in the roaring waves before it got swept out into the sea.

Whitby started at 11am. We drove right to the top of Whitby Abbey, didn’t do the 199 steps climb. So couldn't buy the magnet that said, "I climbed the 199 steps to Whitby Abbey" *disappointed*. The place was quite large and ANCIENT. The ruins of the abbey looked gorgeous in the bright sunlight. Got in, opted for the audio tour while wandering around the outside among the ruins. We kept rolling our eyes and snorted with laughter each time the person on the audio tape overdid the ‘medieval drama’. AND OVERDRAMATIZED THEY DID.

"Oh my lovely abbey...How dare the King!...How delightful!" Aiyoh, too much.

We took plenty of good pictures though. Then walked the market area in the town looking for Fish & Chips and ‘smelly fish’ called kippers (Coastal towns like Whitby are famous for their fresh fish and…erm….not so fresh chips.. actually, the place we ate at had them both. Could actually taste the freshness if I could get past the grease. Same goes for the fried Mars bar Al and Mo had)… Watched families fishing at the canals…Snapped pics with Captain Cook’s ship…Bought a Fat Rascal for a pound (a sturdy cross between a giant scone and a rock bun)…Got seaside ice-cream…walked up to their Whalebone arch… take pics of Captain Cook’s statue with a bird on its head… Drove to Robin Hood’s Bay, realized it’s just another coastal view…and left for home feeling totally knackered.



Today was LURVELY. So warm. Could wear a sundress out with flip-flops and eat ice cream and all. It was even too warm to have curry for lunch! So rare but true. Sunny weather forecasts until Thursday, when we’ll be plunged into cloudiness and depressing gray and near zero night temperatures again. Ah well, at least it lasted a couple of days this time.

Found Oatcakes in Sainbrys today. It’s been almost 2 yearssss… I’ve been trying to convince the whole world that I wasn't imagining Giant flat oatcake things.. but everyone thinks I’m talking about pancakes, or capati, or pfftt... TORTILLA. I know my oat products, people. We also bought this MASSIVE 700g frozen herby salmon. Which Paul thinks is actually less cuz “frozen meat weighs more than when fresh”, launching off a long debate on size, isipadu, molecules and weight of water loss and retained in meat. Could’ve had a Eureka kodak-moment there.

Radiohead are actually good. Better-er than I thought.

Time to sleep. Another unproductive day. Stuffed with too much food and chocolate (74% cocoa chocolate to be exact). I CAN”T BELIEVE EASTER BREAK IS OVER. Classes start again tomorrow, and it’s another deadline week nearer to project, poster, essays and exams. No stress no stress no stress…

I close my eyes and I see you there
I know I’ll see your face again

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home